RE: [squid-users] Using client certs for authentication

From: Bucci, David G <david.g.bucci_at_lmco.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 13:02:11 -0500

Yes, you could use Squid as a reverse accelerator, or we ended up using stunnel for the client-to-Squid connection -- stunnel on each end, configured to require a client certificate, and the browser proxy setting set to the stunnel endpoint on the client. Stunnel support for client certificates isn't perfect -- e.g. it won't read them out of a certificate store, they have to be at a known location in the filesystem, and they have to be PEM format, so you have to have your users export your x.509 certs. We ended up having a script that runs at user login to generate the correct stunnel configuration file, then runs stunnel using that just-generated config file.

Now that OpenSSL has the hooks to read from the Windows (IE) certificate store, I'm sure stunnel will eventually do that, which will make the whole approach more straightforward. I discussed this with the stunnel programmer - but couldn't work out having our company fund the development, so it'll be worked against his other priorities over time, I believe.

And be aware, we had a dickens of a time getting Squid for Windows to work using SSL (and to be fair, SSL support in the Windows version is marked as experimental) ... we finally gave up. Part of why we used stunnel.