[squid-users] Allow untrusted ssl connections

From: Charles Roper <charlzroper_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 09:33:14 -0800

Hello,

I'm using Squid Proxy to access my home network while I'm away from
the house ... I'm running into a bit of trouble with SSL connections.
Using just a plain 'ol connection to the internet, occasionally ,
Firefox will warn me of "Untrusted Connection" on certain websites
that I visit. I believe this is due to either invalid SSL certs or
self-signed SSL certs. Either way, I do trust these sites ... some of
them are my own! I tell Firefox that it's ok and it will let me view
the sites as normal.

The problem arises when I try to access those same sites through my
home Squid Proxy instead of directly connecting to the internet. When
I do that, Firefox throws a "Problem loading page error" :
------------------------------
Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 8.8.8.8:2096.
    * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try
again in a few
          moments.

    * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
          connection.

    * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or
proxy, make sure
          that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I'm assuming this is a security configuration, but I really need to be
able to access those sites through Squid Proxy. For years, I've been
using OpenSSH with SpoonProxy (Windows-based) and it worked
flawlessly, but this week I thought I'd make the switch to Squid Proxy
to see if I noticed any improvements. I did notice many speed
improvements, and this is the only problem that I've run into, so I'm
hoping you can help me resolve it.

Thanks - look forward to your reply!

- Charles