Re: [squid-users] a large number of outgoing addresses and interfaces

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 00:14:00 +1300

On 12/01/11 11:18, Robert Keyes wrote:

> Hello squids,
> I am working on a project which will require squid to use a large number
> (hundreds) of IP addresses for outgoing connections. My plan is to use
> squid_mysql and tcp_outgoing_address to handle this, binding an interface to a
> user. However, I am wondering if there is a more efficient way to handle the
> large number of interfaces I'll be using, instead if using the Linux tools
> (ifconfig or ip) to accomplish this. Load on the machine is a concern, as it's
> only a P4-2.4ghz with 1G of ram. Even if I can't get around having to use an
> interface for each address, I am wondering if anyone has any experience dealing
> with a high number of interfaces like this, and can advise me on what problems
> will surface first and how each one might be dealt with. For instance, am I
> better off using 'ip' or 'ifconfig'? How many virtual interfaces can I have on
> single physical one? Is there a way for me to efficiently have squid bind to
> and accept a new interface when it is created, or would I have to restart squid
> each time?

Depends on your squid version. Any of the newer ones which support the
"include" directive allow you to efficiently maintain a directory full
of snippet config files.

For example; each file A.B.C.D having a single tcp_outgoing_address
address config for that address along with the http_access related to
it. You can then script the create/erase/modify these files in any way
you like. A squid -k reconfigure will reload the lot.

Yes CPU will be impacted, only due to the larger than normal number of
different ACL tests required. You have not supplied any info about the
expected RPS flowing through so I wont hazard a guess about Squid coping.

The number of interfaces and routing complexity / CPU usage is an OS
problem not related to Squid. Squid does not "bind" to anything lower
than IP addresses.

Amos

--
Please be using