[squid-users] a large number of outgoing addresses and interfaces

From: Robert Keyes <rkeyes_at_fas.harvard.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 17:18:09 -0500

Hello squids,
I am working on a project which will require squid to use a large number
(hundreds) of IP addresses for outgoing connections. My plan is to use
squid_mysql and tcp_outgoing_address to handle this, binding an interface to a
user. However, I am wondering if there is a more efficient way to handle the
large number of interfaces I'll be using, instead if using the Linux tools
(ifconfig or ip) to accomplish this. Load on the machine is a concern, as it's
only a P4-2.4ghz with 1G of ram. Even if I can't get around having to use an
interface for each address, I am wondering if anyone has any experience dealing
with a high number of interfaces like this, and can advise me on what problems
will surface first and how each one might be dealt with. For instance, am I
better off using 'ip' or 'ifconfig'? How many virtual interfaces can I have on
single physical one? Is there a way for me to efficiently have squid bind to
and accept a new interface when it is created, or would I have to restart squid
each time?

Regards,
Bob