[squid-users] truncated responses on account of reply_body_max_size

From: Dmitry Makovey <dmitry_at_athabascau.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:25:33 -0700

Hi everybody,

we are using Squid to control the size of received content by clients
(actually servers) esp. stuff like RSS feeds etc, that is, if not done
properly, generating a lot of bandwidth when you have several RSS feeds
embedded into a single web page with the sizes over 20K. So in a nutshell our
rules boil down to:

reply_body_max_size 102400 allow from_trusted_rss_clients
reply_body_max_size 20480 allow from_clients

which works fine if RSS source provides "Content-length" but if it doesn't -
we get truncated content (just as http://www.squid-
cache.org/Doc/config/reply_body_max_size/ indicates it should). However we'd
like to change that somehow to send "denied" for ALL large replies rather than
just those "properly formed". Is that even possible? Did anybody have similar
problems?

Instance of Squid is squid-2.5.STABLE3-9.3E from RedHat AS3 distro. We're
looking at migration over to squid-3.1.4-1.el6 so if solutions are available
in the newer version we'll just upgrade.

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator