Re: [squid-users] truncated responses on account of reply_body_max_size

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:38:44 +1300

On 14/01/11 05:25, Dmitry Makovey wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> we are using Squid to control the size of received content by clients
> (actually servers) esp. stuff like RSS feeds etc, that is, if not done
> properly, generating a lot of bandwidth when you have several RSS feeds
> embedded into a single web page with the sizes over 20K. So in a nutshell our
> rules boil down to:
>
> reply_body_max_size 102400 allow from_trusted_rss_clients
> reply_body_max_size 20480 allow from_clients
>
> which works fine if RSS source provides "Content-length" but if it doesn't -
> we get truncated content (just as http://www.squid-
> cache.org/Doc/config/reply_body_max_size/ indicates it should). However we'd
> like to change that somehow to send "denied" for ALL large replies rather than
> just those "properly formed". Is that even possible? Did anybody have similar
> problems?
>
> Instance of Squid is squid-2.5.STABLE3-9.3E from RedHat AS3 distro. We're
> looking at migration over to squid-3.1.4-1.el6 so if solutions are available
> in the newer version we'll just upgrade.

There is no way to send denied after the object has already started
streaming out to the client. IIRC we now have Squid-3 sending RST
instead of FIN. Which alerts the client end that the object is
incomplete. Followup range request for >max length should be denied.

Do test it though, as it was done a long while back and I may be
remembering wrong.

Amos

--
Please be using