Re: [squid-users] Missing content-length header for POST and PUT

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 05:45:14 +1300

On 21/01/11 03:53, David Gubler wrote:
> On 20.01.2011 14:24, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
>> * David Gubler<dg_at_doodle.com>:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> We're testing Squid (3.1.6) as a reverse proxy to accelerate our web
>>> site. Now we have discovered a major issue: Squid does not accept
>>> empty POSTs (and probably PUTs) that don't have a content-length
>>> header, and returns HTTP/411. All works fine if we bypass the proxy.

"empty"? No. If they have no content length indicated they have to be
assumed as being infinite length transfers. HTTP specs require this 411
reply message.

The client software is *supposed* to add a length and retry.

>>> Since this is a reverse proxy setup, we cannot easily control all the
>>> clients - the reverse proxy just must accept such requests.
>>
>> Have you tried varnish (just asking).
>
> Not yet. Mainly because Varnish does not support SSL, which is something
> we need.
> Actually, it's more complicated than that - the proxy should use SSL to
> contact the back-end if and only if the client did use SSL to contact
> the proxy; so we cannot just use an "SSL terminator" which sits in front
> of Varnish. Squid can do this within a single instance, using some ACL
> trickery.
>
> David

You may require a 3.2 beta. They support HTTP/1.1 chunked coding much
better which allows Squid to work around the unknown length.
3.1 series will only decode chunking and may get itself into worse
states working around it.

Amos

--
Please be using