[squid-users] Setting up a whitelist

From: Tristan Sexton <tskaduos_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:05:13 -0600

Hello,

I've had some issues trying to setup Squid through Webmin for a
whitelist and I just haven't been able to get it right. What I'm
trying to do is setup a proxy server for our home office and stores
using a whitelist to filter what websites the stores can visit.
However, every time we launch squid with all the information we think
we need, IE and Firefox both give us a;

The proxy server is refusing connections

Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.
    * Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.
    * Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is
          working.We've gone through several different instructions on
how to setup the whitelist, but no matter what we do, we can never
visit the sites on our whitelist.

I know very little about Linux, and even less about Squid. If anyone
can help, that would be awesome. I can provide more information as
it's needed, as I'm not sure what would be important to know and what
is just fluff.