Re: [squid-users] Setting up a whitelist

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 14:32:49 +1300

On 21/01/11 06:05, Tristan Sexton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've had some issues trying to setup Squid through Webmin for a
> whitelist and I just haven't been able to get it right. What I'm
> trying to do is setup a proxy server for our home office and stores
> using a whitelist to filter what websites the stores can visit.
> However, every time we launch squid with all the information we think
> we need, IE and Firefox both give us a;
>
> The proxy server is refusing connections
>
> Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.
> * Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.
> * Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is
> working.We've gone through several different instructions on
> how to setup the whitelist, but no matter what we do, we can never
> visit the sites on our whitelist.
>
> I know very little about Linux, and even less about Squid. If anyone
> can help, that would be awesome. I can provide more information as
> it's needed, as I'm not sure what would be important to know and what
> is just fluff.

"refusing connections" indicates a firewall is blocking, the proxy is
not listening on the port the browser was configured with or basic
connectivity between the proxy and the browser is somehow blocked with
an active reject at the packet level.
  You will have to track this down yourself. It is very probably one (or
more) of the three things above but may also be something weird elsewhere.

The proxy should be producing "access denied" pages when it blocks
websites. When you get to that point of unexpected results out of the
proxy itself we can usually help.

Good luck.

Amos

--