Re: [squid-users] Some pages loading very slow in 3.1.10 Stable

From: Eliezer <eliezer_at_ec.hadorhabaac.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:42:02 +0200

it's not a dns problem...
you can make sure and test the round trip and check the problem..
if you will insert these servers into your squid host to the hosts file
you are done with DNS just make sure it's updated in every day with a
nice script or manualy.
this is one side of the problem we can then take it out of the picture...

after you will make sure it's not it..
(and im sure it's not a DNS issue 99.9999.... percents)
then raise your ram for like at least the bandwidth usage of your
interfaces..
let say it's a 1GB in and 1GB out... give squid it...
you must understand that if you have 8GB of ram for this machine and the
purpose of the machine is to serve fast..
make a use of every piece of fast hardware you have to make it happened!!!
if let say there are 3 different files that takes 50 MB and 10 people
are downloading them you'd better serve them from your ram and not from
you HD.
and in any case your squid will serve only very static content so.....
make a choice man:
a. want to serve and fast.
b. just want them to get it faster then they will be mad to shout at you
most of the time.

HD costs like 20-30 dollars? a cheap and old sata will cost 15 dollars?
buy 3-4 of the most cheapest HD you can and try to put all of them in
raid 0 and you will see much more performance in a way you couldn't
imagine(with adding some more ram available for squid)

by the way. is there a nice and good software that can make web caching
for 10000 hits for 3MB file ? i mean like something that someone used?
i can use nc to hit the server...