Re: [squid-users] Some pages loading very slow in 3.1.10 Stable

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 22:07:19 +0000

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:42:02 +0200, Eliezer wrote:
> it's not a dns problem...
> you can make sure and test the round trip and check the problem..
> if you will insert these servers into your squid host to the hosts file
> you are done with DNS just make sure it's updated in every day with a
> nice script or manualy.
> this is one side of the problem we can then take it out of the
picture...

Once up on a time back in teh original request this was a DNS and disk and
origin server combo problem.
The DNS part is now resolved AFAICT. Apparently the disk bit too.

Now it is just down to the origin server being weird and the thread going
way off track.

> after you will make sure it's not it..
> (and im sure it's not a DNS issue 99.9999.... percents)
> then raise your ram for like at least the bandwidth usage of your
> interfaces..
> let say it's a 1GB in and 1GB out... give squid it...
> you must understand that if you have 8GB of ram for this machine and the

> purpose of the machine is to serve fast..
> make a use of every piece of fast hardware you have to make it
happened!!!
> if let say there are 3 different files that takes 50 MB and 10 people
> are downloading them you'd better serve them from your ram and not from
> you HD.
> and in any case your squid will serve only very static content so.....
> make a choice man:
> a. want to serve and fast.
> b. just want them to get it faster then they will be mad to shout at you

> most of the time.
>
> HD costs like 20-30 dollars? a cheap and old sata will cost 15 dollars?
> buy 3-4 of the most cheapest HD you can and try to put all of them in
> raid 0 and you will see much more performance in a way you couldn't
> imagine(with adding some more ram available for squid)

Not RAID-0. Worst possible config.
Cheap drives are best with a JBOD configuration, one cache_dir each.

> by the way. is there a nice and good software that can make web caching
> for 10000 hits for 3MB file ? i mean like something that someone used?
> i can use nc to hit the server...

10K HITS ? over how long a period? Squid can suck in that many within a
minute or so on modern server hardware. Then overload a 100Mbps NIC sending
the file data from a cache_mem. Have not seen it replicated on Gbit-E cards
yet.

Amos