Re: [squid-users] Client timing out when using squid as tproxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 18:52:11 +1300

On 28/01/11 12:25, mbruell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use squid as a transparent proxy. We're using ubuntu 10.04,
> 2.6.37 kernel, squid 3.1.10, and iptables 1.4.10. Server has 1 nic.
>
> Ports 3128 and ports 3129 are specified in squid.conf.
>
> When client browser proxy prefs are set to proxy server address, port 3128,
> traffic passes through squid and returns to client.
>
> When client browser proxy prefs are set to squid address, but using port 80,
> traffic shows up in access.log, but never returns to client.
>
> I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this.
>
> I followed the howtos for comping squid for ubuntu:
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/CompilingSquid#Debian.2C_Ubuntu
>
> and for setting it up as a transparent proxy:
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Tproxy4

<snip>

Start troubleshooting by reading the section "Troubleshooting" on the
wiki TPROXY page. Particularly the Q on timing out.

 From there it is a matter of tracing the packets across the network.
Step by step, including all debuggable software components on the way.

Extra details to be aware of Ubuntu 10.04 official packages do not meet
the libcap dependency requirement for TPROXY. It's library is too old.
Squid-3.1 will not produce an obvious message about that before shutting
down TPROXY spoofing.
Ubuntu 10.10 has a mixed success rate.

Amos

--