Re: [squid-users] Re: Configuring Squid to Proxy HTTPS

From: Martin \(Jake\) Jacobson <jakecjacobson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 10:44:08 -0500

Hi,

I am sorry if I sound like I don't know what I am doing with Squid but
I don't and it is really, really frustrating. I been reading over the
O'Reilly book and I am more lost than ever before.

Here is what I am trying to do:

* My squid box is running on port 3128
* My bot is configured to send requests to my squid box over
http://squidbox:3128
* Squid is then supposed to proxy request to destination and when a
PKI cert challenge is given by destination box, squid would present
its cert/ca chain and not send the challenge back to the requesting
bot.

I wish I could load the bot with its own certs but that is not going
to happen any time soon, so I am forced to try this method.

The good news is I got past the denied error but the bad news is I am
still being challenged for my PKI cert and it doesn't appear that the
certs/ca loaded by the cache_peer line is being loaded or submitted on
my behave.

Correct me if I am wrong, but cache_peer is used to talk to other
squid boxes and not a web server. When I start squid in single user
mode, 'squid -Nd1' I see everything coming up but I don't see anywhere
in the output that it loaded the PKI or CAs. Should I see this?

Here is the cache_peer line I have

cache_peer my_login_site parent 443 0 proxy-only ssl
sslcert=/webroot/conf/squid/.ssl/server.crt
sslkey=/webroot/conf/squid/.ssl/server.key
sslcapath=/webroot/conf/squid/.ssl/ca/ ssldomain=google.intelink.gov
no-query originserver

In my squid access log I see:

1296833229.332 20520 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx TCP_MISS/200 7596 CONNECT
my_login_site:443 - DIRECT/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx-

All of the certs and ca are owned by root. Squid is running as user
squid but since I start squid as root, I figured that root would be ok
to own the cert/ca. Is this incorrect?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me on this and sorry for the
length of this post.

Jake Jacobson

http://www.google.com/profiles/jakecjacobson

Our greatest fear should not be of failure,
but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter.
   -- ANONYMOUS