[squid-users] squid reduce Bandwidth?

From: Senthilkumar <senthilkumaar2021_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 15:14:59 +0530

Hi,

Current network topology
Internet----squid------bandwidthMonitor-----clients.

The squid is configured as transparent proxy.
squid version: 2.7stable6

We are seeing an average upstream bandwidth of 5 mbps and download
bandwidth of 25 mbps over a day on the bandwidth monitor when the
network traffic is by-passed through squid box (ie., without transparent
redirection). Where as when the traffic goes via squid we are only
seeing 4 mpbs upstream and 20 mbps downstream. We have tested this over
several days and clearly seeing this difference.

Will having squid in the above topology reduce the bandwidth? The only
reason we see is, most of the client request will be HTTP/1.1 and squid
will only make HTTP/1.0 on the server side
Any inputs on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Senthil