Re: [squid-users] origin compression and squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 18:16:20 +1300

On 08/02/11 10:47, George N. Zavalis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using squid 2.7.stable9 , and gzip compression in the origin servers
> (IIS)
>
> Whenever a client requests a compressed resource for the first time (assume
> a new url/resource) it is cached and the compressed version is served to the
> clients requesting the compressed version of the resource.
> Everything works fine till now, but when one client request the UNcompressed
> version of the resource/url - no matter the TTL of the resource (even if it
> is one year or more) - the request ends up to the origin (miss) the
> Uncompressed version is fetched,cached and served to the client and the
> following clients even if they request the compressed version.
>
> I even tried to specific request a compressed version of the resource with
> WFETCH and the appropriate request headers (Accept-Encoding: gzip) but I am
> still getting the Uncompressed version of the resource (me and the rest
> clients requesting the resource)
>

> This happening with all my resources - no matter of mime type.

Your IIS is omitting the Vary: header on non-compressed responses. It
should be returning that header on all responses for a URL which varies.

NP: You may see that Squid 2.7 offers the broken_vary_header directive
as a workaround. Using this workaround results in non-compressed variant
always being served. The breakage in IIS is not part of the use-case
this directive fixes.

Amos

--
Please be using