Re: [squid-users] "Bypassing" Squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 17:54:25 +1300

For the list:
  Thread title is a complete lie. "Jobst" has an ongoing set of requests
about turning Squid into a silent black-box relay for certain traffic so
that the proxy admin cannot see what is going on in his own network.

On 09/02/11 14:49, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
> Hi
>
> How can I let packages/sites "bypass" Squid?
>
> I do not mind if people listen to online stuff, what I mind is that I end up with loads of entries in the squid log and in the cache.
>
> For example I want squid not to touch/log/cache/whatever any packet that is "application/x-fcs" (and other media stuff)

* squid will "touch" the HTTP portion of every object going through, no
exceptions
* logging omission you asked about two weeks ago and got an answer on
how to hide the traffic from yourself
* shared caching omission is below

> Is this correct, i.e. it will allow it through but not log nor cache it?
>
> Also is my understanding correct that ACL are cumulative (as below) so I can use multiple lines for the same ACL name?
>

> acl media urlpath_regex \.(afx|asf)(\?.*)?$
> acl media urlpath_regex \.flv(\?.*)?$
> acl media urlpath_regex \.swf(\?.*)?$

The above for a *set* of OR conditions. Tested individually in sequence.
If any one of the three patterns matches the ACL name is match.

> acl media rep_mime_type x-fcs
>
> cache deny media

You have the general idea of how to prevent things being re-used form
disk (a disk file will likely still be opened for backing the RAM
in-transit copy).

There are two problems though:
  1) each ACL name can only have one type. You need one for
urlpath_regex and anther one for the rep_mime_type

  2) the rep_mime_type being a *reply* mime type will not match on
requests when decision is made whether to open a file and store the
future data directly.

I'm still wondering though why you want to do this? all the media types
which can be proxied by Squid are potentially cacheable for a great
bandwidth/speed savings. The non-cacheable ones will get discarded anyway.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.4