Re: [squid-users] using htcp or peering for squid3.1 and 2.7 to cache you tube files

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:56:18 +1300

 On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:20:10 +0200, Eliezer wrote:
> im using now squid 3.1.10 and i dont have the store_url_rewrite
> option and some of my network users watching youtube videos that i
> want to cache.
>
> i had problems with squid2.7stable7 and 3.0.STABLE19
> that when a user is listening to stream music on aol\shoutcast
> instead of getting into "buffering" cause of a slow connection,
>
> the player will play some buggy noise (really unpleasant ) and like
> nothing happened continues the playback for 3 seconds and back the
> noise.

 ICY protocol abusing HTTP.
 http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.1/RELEASENOTES.html#ss2.10

 FWIW: 2.7 has a hack to work around the ICY jitter.
   acl shoutcast rep_header X-HTTP09-First-Line ^ICY.[0-9]
   upgrade_http0.9 deny shoutcast

> using squid 3.1.10 solved this problem but i still want the option to
> store for sometime youtube videos.
>

> the only way that i was thinking to make it work was to use two squid
> versions one is the current 3.1.10 and the other
> will be using squid 2.7 just to store youtube videos and maybe
> pictures.

 The jitter is due to ICY players not being nice when the reply headers
 are updated according to HTTP/1.1 protocol requirements. Passing it
 through *any* HTTP/1.1 compliant proxy which is not aware of ICY and
 working around its brokenness will cause the jitter.

 Great idea though, using a 2.7 peer dedicated to youtube URLs is a nice
 way to get the best of both versions.

 Amos