Re: [squid-users] Not able to apply maximum_object_size_in_memory

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 11:56:41 +1300

On 19/02/11 07:28, John Craws wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a squid 3.1.11 instance configured with no disk cache.
> Stripped down configuration below.
>
> #--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> # squid.conf
> #--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> shutdown_lifetime 0 seconds
> http_port 3128
> http_access allow all
> forwarded_for transparent
>
> acl VIDEO-CONTENT rep_header Content-Type video/.+
>
> maximum_object_size_in_memory 32 KB
> maximum_object_size 17 MB
> cache_mem 4 GB
> cache allow all
> debug_options ALL,1
>
> #--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> # end squid.conf
> #--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I use curl to request a file through the proxy.
>
> What I understood from the docs is that maximum_object_size limits the
> size of objects to disk cache and maximum_object_size_in_memory does
> so for RAM cache.
>
> I have no disk cache, so I tried to apply a limit using
> maximum_object_size_in_memory. It didn't work. However, it does work
> when I specify a limit using maximum_object_size.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

You are almost correct.
  maximum_object_size is a global limit which nothing stored anywhere
can evade.
  maximum_object_size_in_memory is a RAM-only limit. The smaller of
memory and global limits is used for cache_mem.

  There are matching *-size limits on individual cache_dir in the latest
Squid that do the same for each disk dir.

It should be preventing long-term storage of anything over 32KB,
provided the size info is known in the headers.
  Note that this does not limit objects which are currently in transit.
They are stored for as long as that transit use needs, then discarded.

Do you have a copy of the headers and a display of how you are
identifying the failure please?

Amos

--
Please be using