Re: [squid-users] Frustrating "Invalid Request" Reply

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:27:53 +1300

 Please keep the replies on the mailing list for others to benefit from.
 I charge for private assistance.

 On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 12:32:56 +0200, Ümit Kablan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2011/2/22 Amos Jeffries :

>>> Exactly! The working requests are all starting with http://domain/
>>> as
>>> you mentioned. (I must say I couldn't capture loopback network
>>> packets
>>
>> Squid needs to be configured via the http_port to know what
>> mode/type of
>> traffic it is going to receive. The browsers need to be sending the
>> right
>> type as well.
>
> I have
> -----
> http_port 3128
> -----
> in my configuration. Do I miss something?

 Yes. But you keep omitting the details of *how* browsers are getting to
 squid, so we can't tell if you are attempting to run a transparent proxy
 or a reverse proxy. Two very different configurations both in Squid and
 in the network underneath.

 Please confirm your network layout and traffic flows including software
 which is involved on each related machine.

 You say this Squid is on Windows where interception type of transparent
 proxy is not possible for free, but keep mentioning the public website
 google as working.

 I suspect you are trying to perform NAT interception on a separate box
 to Squid. Which is highly dangerous.

>> There are a number of workaround, So we are at the question of what
>> exactly
>> are you trying to do with the traffic? what does your goal look
>> like?
>
> I have a slow internet connection all machines connecting to internet
> individually so I simply want squid work correctly to make things
> faster.

 Details please. So far we know this:

 When failing
  Clients traffic passes through gateway box __ which is running __ and
 does __ to the connections, then __ and then __ and Squid sends an
 "invalid request" message back.

 When working
  Clients traffic passes through gateway box __ which is running __ and
 does __ to the connections, then __ and then __ and Squid fetches the
 request over a slow Internet link and sends it back.

> Browser doesnt send correct http://domain/xyz address to the proxy
> instead it sends GET /xyz and it does seem to be same on firefox, ie
> and chrome. The browser additionally send Host: www.xxx.com data with
> missing url info. What I thought of was telling squid concatenate
> these data: "http://" "www.xyz.com" "/xyz" if possible.
>
> Everything works correctly at localhost and it seems strange to me.

 Localhost is very special.