Re: [squid-users] Tunneling https (with proxy chaining)

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 11:02:07 +1300

 On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:50:20 +0100, Leonardo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have successfully set up a bridge on my Debian 5.0.5 with Squid
> 3.1.7 to tunnel http traffic.

 ? these two concepts do not overlap.

 Do you have a bridge server with intercepting proxy on it?
  OR a regular forward proxy doing tunneling?

> Through proxy chaining, my Squid
> connects to another non-Squid proxy.
> Would it be possible to do the same with https, or there are security
> issues related to Squid acting as a MITM?

 With HTTP tunneling this is not a problem. Set "nonheirarchichal_direct
 off" in squid.conf. The tunnel will be diverted through the peer same as
 it goes through the local Squid.

 With bridging+intercept this is not possible.

 MITM would be a bridge+intercept. So no, not possible with HTTPS.

 We are slowly building squid towards an architecture where non-HTTP
 traffic is not broken in intercept mode. But this is going to take a lot
 more work and time to achieve.

 Amos