Re: [squid-users] Google Driving Me Crazy - Timezone

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 21:05:07 +1300

On 05/03/11 19:41, Jenny Lee wrote:

> Hi Squid folks,
>
> Is there a way to specify a different timezone in squid on http headers?
>
> This google is returning me a different language version of their homepage (I am in the same timezone with that language).
>
> I do not want to change system timezone, or squid logformat - error pages. I just want to send this google another timezone so it will return english google (I do not want to use /ncr).
>
> Before they used to do it on IPs which is hte way it was supposed to be. Now apparently they use timezones which is a problem for proxy.

Where did you come across that idea?

HTTP uses Internet time and labels it as "GMT" where a timezone would
go. There are no "real" timezones transmitted.

Either way redirects only affects visits to the generic "google.com" to
a local server on the geographic region. You can use any ccTLD google
server by name instead of the .com one.
   ie http://www.google.co.uk/ is in English

Amos

--