Re: [squid-users] Bypassing a bandwidth shaper

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 11:03:04 +1300

 On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 11:26:09 -0600, Mike Husmann wrote:
> Hello all,
> Thanks for everyone who works to make this such a great product.
>
> I've built a transparent proxy from source (2.7..) and it works
> really
> well. What I'm wondering now is if I can fool my downstream
> bandwidth
> shaper into not throttling the cache hits that come from squid. Is
> it
> possible to do such a thing? For instance, tell squid to answer the
> hit with it's IP rather than the original (external) IP?

 Let me get this straight. You have:

 Client ->router1->Internet->router2->(NAT)->Squid->Internet

 ?? seems like a terribly long chain of software in order to pass it
 through NAT.

 Either way, No the port cannot be changed. Transparent proxy / MITM /
 hijacking attacks have a very strict set of limits around what can be
 done to the squid->client traffic. The client security systems will
 reject any response which differs from its expected reply and result in
 hung transactions.

> Or is my only option to move the cache inside of the bandwidth
> shaper?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike

 Squid can send TOS/Diffserv markings for direct QoS labeling. Provided
 the shaper accepts your markings.
 In 2.7 its called http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/zph_local/
 In 3.1+ its http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/qos_flows/

 Amos