Re: [squid-users] Proxying all traffic on all ports

From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 21:40:39 +0200

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 13:26, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> Either this is irrelevant sob story, or he has a case for getting some
> people banned from certain activities. That would be worth looking into
> IIWY. You do want to be protecting the innocent while abandoning the trolls
> to their chosen fate.

No, I've experienced it too. We're Israeli, some people see that as
reason enough to be mean. I completely understand the situation.
Actually, with a name such as Amos, you might be familiar with it!

>> I figured that I could install Squid on the German server and then
>> configure Iptables on his local machine (Ubuntu Linux) to proxy via
>> that server. I figured that this would be a common scenario however I
>> have been unable to google a solution. I have also checked the Squid
>> FAQ and Config Examples pages, but surprisingly did not find anything
>> about this. Is this possible with Squid? Should I search for a
>> different solution?
>
> Squid is an HTTP proxy. Just HTTP.  None of the rest of the routing or
> tunneling setup involves Squid at all. That would be why you can't find
> references detailing it.

Ah, I see, thanks. Actually, the Squid homepage mentions FTP "and
more" but I understand from that that Squid only proxies protocols
that it understands, not general traffic.

> Apart from iptables which you are thinking of the other parts are "tunnel
> interface" and "router". Squid would be a bit of candy on top, but not
> necessary.

Perfect, thanks Amos. I did not know that routers might have this
ability built in. I'm off to google!

Have a great evening.

--
Dotan Cohen