Re: [squid-users] Proxying all traffic on all ports

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 00:26:47 +1300

On 08/03/11 23:16, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Hi all, new list member.
>
> A student asked me if he can proxy all his internet activity through a
> specific server in order to hide his IP address. He has found some
> hostility directed towards him in some online activities, including
> online gaming, and feels he would be better off appearing German
> online. He has a full root server in Germany and wants to proxy all
> his traffic, on all ports, through it.

Either this is irrelevant sob story, or he has a case for getting some
people banned from certain activities. That would be worth looking into
IIWY. You do want to be protecting the innocent while abandoning the
trolls to their chosen fate.

> I figured that I could install Squid on the German server and then
> configure Iptables on his local machine (Ubuntu Linux) to proxy via
> that server. I figured that this would be a common scenario however I
> have been unable to google a solution. I have also checked the Squid
> FAQ and Config Examples pages, but surprisingly did not find anything
> about this. Is this possible with Squid? Should I search for a
> different solution?

Squid is an HTTP proxy. Just HTTP. None of the rest of the routing or
tunneling setup involves Squid at all. That would be why you can't find
references detailing it.

Apart from iptables which you are thinking of the other parts are
"tunnel interface" and "router". Squid would be a bit of candy on top,
but not necessary.

Amos

--
Please be using