Re: [squid-users] Client Certificate Authentication

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 00:29:25 +1300

On 15/03/11 23:04, Jaime Nebrera wrote:
> Hi Amos,
>
>>> I didnt know this. Might it be that they are confused and that they
>>> might be using Kerberos or something like that that in essence is based
>>> in certificates?
>>
>> What do you mean by "they" being confused? You earlier said you were
>> setting this up. My answer was based around your question.
>
> Yes, we are setting this on our own but on premise of certain specs. I
> was asked to see if it was possible to do the same "through the proxy"
> as other team is doing with end "web sites"

Ah, well.
  Normal HTTPS "through a proxy" uses a CONNECT tunnel. The encryption
inside that is end-to-end from client to the website server. The proxy
itself does not get involved (unless the MITM case is setup, then the
certificate breakage is the MITM admins problem/fault not yours).

  Certificate validation *to* the proxy. As I said needs stunnel at the
client end to wrap the browsers traffic. One day hopefully the browsers
will encrypt, but today that is not a reality. Squid is ready for it now
just in case.

>> They likely do it similar or the same way Squid does. With MITM and
>> generating a new fake certificate. You asked for ways to do it *without*
>> MITM, and relaying on a specific existing client certificate set at the
>> browser end of the transaction. The fake certs used in MITM do not pass
>> validation such as a server checking for specific client certs does.
>
> Mmm, I understand this is only doable with a MITM deployment as in
> essence you would be forging the original user. I raised the question
> that this was a security concern bby itself, but I believe would be the
> only way.

For the end-to-end use of one certificate yes. If the system can cope
with two certs client->Squid and Squid->webserver, then the MITM need
disappears and the stunnel type setup can be used to clients with a
separate Squid cert to servers.

Amos

--
Please be using