Re: [squid-users] pam_auth pam_end()

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 00:54:41 +1300

On 15/03/11 23:19, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm running squid of different versions on my FreeBSD boxes (8.x,
> i386/amd64).
> I'm also using pam_auth to authenticate users against local (pam_unix)
> and kerberos security databases.
>
> Regardless of the arch and version, I have a couple of the boxes that
> periodically fail to release pam_auth.
> For example, I had this situation on 2.7 and I'm currently having it on
> a 3.1 box. On the version 2.7 squid complains about in in its log,
> saying 'WARNING: failed to release PAM authenticator'. 3.1 does this no
> more,

FWIW; That was a silence change introduced in 3.2.0.3.

Would you say this is serious enough to warrant the message always
showing up? If so I'll undo the silencing, it was part of a blanket
hiding of things in helper debug mode (-d option).

> but the problem persists. How can I debug/solve this problem ? I

For helper debug pass '-d'
(careful with helpers bundled with 3.1 and older Squid, some passed
their debug info to stdout and kill squid).

> see the only possibility - adding a pam_strerror() after pam_end() to
> see what is really happening, but may be I'm reinventing the wheel, and
> the solution is already known.

Start with the -d option.
  Then add/update debug() lines to any place that looks useful. I'm
interested in making the debug helpful so patches for that are welcome
upstream.
  debug() operates identical to printf() but sends the result to the
helper channel for Squid cache.log.

FWIW, I think adding pam_strerror() results into both of the WARNING:
messages with that text should be enough to point at the actual problem.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.5