Re: [squid-users] Can squid test whether a redirect target is up?

From: David Guertin <guertin_at_middlebury.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:35:38 -0400

On 2011-03-21 19:38, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> "if site A is up, redirect to site A, but if it's
>> down, redirect to site B."
>>
>> Is there any way to do this? Is squid the correct tool for this?
>> Would a different redirector that squidGuard be a better choice?
>

> Using a redirector for this is not a good choice. Redirectors only
> pass a URL to Squid to inform the client to try there. It is up to the
> redirector to test

Thanks for the help. I've been sort of been coming to this conclusion as
I learn my way around Squid. It looks like your reply was cut off. What
would be a better alternate strategy? The remote site is a bunch of
database-driven forms with confidential data, which we are not able to
store securely (which is why they are off-site in the first place).
Would it be a better idea (or possible) to cache the forms, even if we
do not cache the data?

Thanks,
Dave