Re: [squid-users] Heavy load squid with high CPU utilization...

From: <david_at_lang.hm>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 23:37:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011, George Herbert wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Marcus Kool
> <marcus.kool_at_urlfilterdb.com> wrote:
>> Dejan,
>>
>> Squid is known to be CPU bound under heavy load and the
>> Quad core running at 1.6 GHz in not the fastest.
>> A 3.2 GHz dual core will give you double speed.
>
> Second this. CPU speed -> perf wasn't quite linear when I was testing
> that but was certainly highly improved with 2.4 and 2.6 and 3.0 GHz
> CPUs.

although I will point out that just clock speed is not everything. I did a
bunch of tests last week with different cpu speeds and found that
different generations of chips were very different, to the point where a
2.3GHz core (in a 2x4-core opteron system) gave me approximatly double the
performance of a 2.6GHz core (in a 2x2-core opteron system) or a 3GHz core
(in a 1x1-core opteron system)

David Lang