Re: [squid-users] Heavy load squid with high CPU utilization...

From: George Herbert <george.herbert_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 20:10:51 -0700

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Marcus Kool
<marcus.kool_at_urlfilterdb.com> wrote:
> Dejan,
>
> Squid is known to be CPU bound under heavy load and the
> Quad core running at 1.6 GHz in not the fastest.
> A 3.2 GHz dual core will give you double speed.

Second this. CPU speed -> perf wasn't quite linear when I was testing
that but was certainly highly improved with 2.4 and 2.6 and 3.0 GHz
CPUs.

>[...]
> You use one disk solely for cache.  This can be better
> if you use a battery-backed disk I/O controller with
> 256MB cache.
> And the obvious: more disks is good for overall performance

Personally, I like using 4 disks. 2 for OS + Squid logs, 2 for cache
(2 separate cache dirs). Use Linux LVM for mirroring the OS partition
and logs partition, but no RAID/LVM on the cache dirs.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert_at_gmail.com