[squid-users] ntlmauthenticator errors

From: Steve-Mustafa Ismail Mustafa <m.i.mustafa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 07:14:02 +0200

Hi,

I've been trying to setup squid to limit the accessibility to the
internet at the local Red Cross hospital because of over usage. As such,
I've setup a security group on our AD, InternetUsers where only those
members of that group are capable of connecting to the web, otherwise,
all their traffic is within our local network.

I've joined Debian Squeeze to the domain without much hassle. This is
on a VM Debian Squeeze, Squid 2.7 stable 9.

My squid.conf is:

auth_param ntlm program /usr/lib/squid/ntlm_auth
--helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp
--require-membership-of="RCH\InternetUsers"
auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/ntlm_auth
--helper-protocol=squid-2.5-basic
--require-membership-of="RCH\InternetUsers"
auth_param ntlm children 5
auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours external acl type nt group ttl=0
concurrency=5 %LOGIN
/usr/lib/squid/wbinfo_group.pl
#auth_param ntlm max_challenge_reuses 0
#auth_param ntlm max_challenge_lifetime 2 minutes

http_port 3128
acl all src 192.168.10.0/24
acl InternetUsers proxy_auth REQUIRED
http_access allow InternetUsers
http_access deny all

You can see that it needs cleaning up a bit because of the
experimentation that went on trying to get it to work.
max_challenge_reuses and max_challenge_lifetime are a carryover from
when I followed the suggested config on the site (outdated I guess).

Firing up squid through "/etc/init.d/squid start" gives me unrecognized
'/usr/lib/squid/wbinfo_group.pl'
Starting it with "/usr/sbin/squid -NCdl" comes back with
WARNING: ntlmauthenticator #2 (FD 9) exited
WARNING: ntlmauthenticator #2 (FD 10) exited
WARNING: ntlmauthenticator #2 (FD 11) exited
Too few ntlmauthenticator processes are running
Aborted

checking the log messages yields:

Squid Parent: child process 24182 started
Squid Parent: child process 24182 exited due to signal 6

Any clues? I'm completely stumped and I've been at this a few days now
and I'd like to move on.

Thanks in advance

SMIM