Re: [squid-users] Quick statistic that shows performance improvement?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:02:07 +1300

 On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 06:33:18 -0400, January Sharp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We installed Squid 3.1.10 three days ago, and lots of clients are
> using it. Being a complete newbie to this, may I ask a question.
>
> What is best statistic to use to find out the general, overall
> improvement of our clients' web surfing with vs. without squid. That
> is, when I report to my management, "Our users are able to surf X%
> faster since we installed squid".
>
> Is this X available or computable from the information in the General
> Runtime Information page of the Cache Mgr? Or somewhere else in Cache
> Mgr?
>
> I am guessing it is 1 - (Cache Misses Median Service Times / HTTP
> Requests (All) Median Service Times). Is this correct?

 Any of the metrics which provide both HIT and MISS details can be used
 as performance gain measures.

 Speed improvements are complex. For absolute statements like that you
 will have to combine the HIT service time with a non-proxied service
 time. Mediated in some calculation against the request HIT ratio.
  The results are rarely what you expect. Adding a non-caching proxy
 usually results in speed LOSS from the overheads, but not always.

 The other metric used are Byte Hit ratios/totals. Combined with your
 upstream bandwidth costs that measures a direct $$ figure in the budget.

 Amos