Re: [squid-users] squid 3.2.0.5 smp scaling issues

From: <david_at_lang.hm>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 19:32:21 -0700 (PDT)

sorry for the delay. I got a chance to do some more testing (slightly
different environment on the apache server, so these numbers are a
little lower for the same versions than the last ones I posted)

results when requesting short html page

squid 3.0.STABLE12 4000 requests/sec
squid 3.1.11 1500 requests/sec
squid 3.1.12 1530 requests/sec
squid 3.2.0.5 1 worker 1300 requests/sec
squid 3.2.0.5 2 workers 2050 requests/sec
squid 3.2.0.5 3 workers 2700 requests/sec
squid 3.2.0.5 4 workers 2950 requests/sec
squid 3.2.0.5 5 workers 2900 requests/sec
squid 3.2.0.5 6 workers 2530 requests/sec
squid 3.2.0.6 1 worker 1400 requests/sec
squid 3.2.0.6 2 workers 2050 requests/sec
squid 3.2.0.6 3 workers 2730 requests/sec
squid 3.2.0.6 4 workers 2950 requests/sec
squid 3.2.0.6 5 workers 2830 requests/sec
squid 3.2.0.6 6 workers 2530 requests/sec
squid 3.2.0.6 7 workers 2160 requests/sec instead of all processes being at 100% several were at 99%
squid 3.2.0.6 8 workers 1950 requests/sec instead of all processes being at 100% some were as low as 92%

so the new versions are really about the same

moving to large requests cut these numbers by about 1/3, but the squid
processes were not maxing out the CPU

one issue I saw, I had to reduce the number of concurrent connections or I
would have requests time out (3.2 vs earlier versions), on 3.2 I had to
have -c on ab at ~100-150 where I could go significantly higher on 3.1 and
3.0

David Lang