Re: [squid-users] Space in Username

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:28:33 +1200

On 15/04/11 06:30, Durward Holt wrote:
> I found a couple patches for 2.2 and 2.4 that allow for a space in the
> username.
>
> Is a space not allowed in any of the versions?

Space is allowed. In the 2.5 series or later.

> Is it something that can be allowed easily?

Yes. Via upgrading the proxy version to one which supports it.

> What is the reason behind not providing for a space?

The usual. Not a useful feature earlier and nobody could be bothered
coding it for early releases.

> I have other web auth apps that connect with LDAP and AD, which
> function with a space in the username just fine. I am basically being
> told by another company that it not possible and they are not willing
> to look at it. I am just curious if it is possible and what effort it
> would require. The reasoning is a windows domain environment where
> usernames are first last.

Same amount of effort as upgrading Squid. Which may be trivial or may be
hard. Some sites lock themselves into particular versions with corporate
policies or local patching etc.
  By now most sites have managed to move onto at least the 2.5 series,
but a lot of corporates are still stuck there.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.6