Re: [squid-users] Cache inspection tools

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:32:37 +1200

On 17/04/11 07:50, Yang Zhang wrote:
> Are there any tools that are useful for inspecting the contents of our
> squid caches (esp. the on-disk cache)? Anything from a human-readable
> presentation of what's in the cache to stats about domains/ages/etc.
>
> I tried playing a bit with the squid cache manager CGI but it doesn't
> seem to be such a tool. I haven't had much luck Googling.
>
> I've been hacking together some bash scripts that runs over the files
> in /var/spool/squid3/ to extract the info I need, but I was just
> curious if anything else out there already exists.
>
> Thanks.

The cachemgr.cgi has reports to list the entire contents of the cache
index ("objects") and the in-transit sub-set ("active_objects"). But
does not at this point show more than is in the memory index meta data.

Squid since at least 2.6 bundles with a "ufsdump" tool to display files
in the UFS /AUFSdiskd format directories.

Squid-2 also bundles with a tool "cossdump" which performs the same
function for COSS directories.

Squid-3.2 now also bundles and updates the "squidpurge" tool which
historically performs many administrative operations (not just purging)
on the UFS based directories. This tool was useful but had bitrot for
several years, we believe its up to working state again now but still
need testers to verify that.

Those are just the ones bundled with Squid. I'm sure there are others
out there for various purposes that have not been advertised widely.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.6