Re: [squid-users] Re: Squid Cache flush

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:27:04 +1200

 On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:14:55 -0400, Jawahar Balakrishnan (JB) wrote:
> I am looking to deploy Squid as a reverse proxy and i had couple of
> questions. We currrently use Bluecoat and Sun Web proxy and i am able
> to do the following things
>
> 1) How would i flush objects from cache?

 The whole lot:
  http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ClearingTheCache

 or individually via:
  HTTP "PURGE" requests
  HTCP "CLR" requests

  squidpurge tool commands.

> 2) Can i flush the entire cache without restarting Squid?

 Yes ... but it takes a LONG time to do N objects individually.
 Restart without a cache to load takes milliseconds.

> 3) Can i set the configuration to expire objects at a certain time
> every day regardless of when the object was cache during the previous
> 24 hours?

 Use of the Expiry and Cache-Control mechanisms properly can do just
 about anything. Correct use will make all proxies not just your reverse
 one handle the site fine and remove a lot of customer problems.

 Objects which arrive with header "Expires: XX" will expire at XX
 timestamp and be replaced on their next use.

 Amos