Re: [squid-users] About the delay_pool in squid 3.0 STABLE1

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 15:29:40 +1200

On 30/04/11 12:48, Carlos Manuel Trepeu Pupo wrote:
> Hi!! I have installed Squid 3.0 STABLE1 in UBUNTU since a few months
> ago, and I tried

*please* upgrade to a more recent release. Ubuntu supported versions are
several ahead.
  3.0.STABLE1 has a lot of major security vulnerabilities and other bugs.

> to use the delay_pool with a fixed speed without any problems. Now, I
> want to let the
>
> user to download at more speed in the launch hour, so I put others
> delay_pool for that
>
> time and a different speed for the page that not contain the
> restriction, but I can
>
> see when the connection starts at this time, and the lunch it's over
> the speed do not
>
> decrease. I think it's that the connection established can't be
> modified, but I hope

Correct. With delay pools one currently has to reset the connection
entirely. They are only calculated when starting a connection.

There are two ways you can do this. The first is a simple but dirty
"squid -k reconfigure" at the end of the lunch period. Which will kill
all active connections and cause client to re-connect and get a new
delay pool.
  The other more complicated way is to scan the cache manage
active_clients report for connections you want to cut off and reset them
at the OS TCP level.

Hint: if anyone reading wants to implement a cache manager command to
re-calculate delay pools on the fly that would be welcomed.

The third way is to not use delay pools at all, but do QoS in the
operating system. That works on the packet level and can be altered in
real time.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.7 and 3.1.12.1