[squid-users] can squid load data into cache faster than sending it out?

From: Dave Dykstra <dwd_at_fnal.gov>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 09:11:59 -0500

I have a reverse proxy squid on the same machine as my origin server.
Sometimes queries from squid are sent around the world and can be very
slow, for example today there is one client taking 40 minutes to
transfer 46MB. When the data is being transferred from the origin
server, the connection between squid and the origin server is tied up
for the entire 40 minutes, leaving it unavailable for other work
(there's only a small number of connections allowed by the origin server
to its upstream database). My question is, can squid be configured to
take in the data from the origin server as fast as it can and cache it,
and then send out the data to the client as bandwidth allows? I would
want it to stream to the client during this process too, but not block
the transfer from origin server to squid if the client is slow.

I'm using squid-2.7STABLE9, and possibly relevant non-default squid.conf
options I'm using are:
    http_port 8000 accel defaultsite=127.0.0.1:8080
    cache_peer 127.0.0.1 parent 8080 0 no-query originserver
    collapsed_forwarding on

- Dave