Re: [squid-users] you cache is running out of filedescriptors in ubuntu

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 16:25:15 +1200

 On Tue, 10 May 2011 16:10:38 -0400, Carlos Manuel Trepeu Pupo wrote:
> Hi I have down all my work, I find some information to fix this but
> tell me modify /etc/default/squid and I don't have this file, what
> could I do? It's urgent !!!! I have squid 3.0 STABLE1

 Create the file if missing. It is an optional user-override config
 file.

 For 3.0 you need to add the ./configure --with-filedescriptors=NUMBER
 option. Where NUMBER is something big enough not to die under your
 traffic load. You also need to run "ulimit -n NUMBER" before starting
 Squid every time.

 The FD overflow could also be *two* of those "fixed" bugs I warned you
 about the other day...

 3.0 have issues with too many persistent connection FD being held.
 Which can overflow the FD limits on certain types of traffic behaviour.

 3.0 and early 3.1 have issues with connection garbage objects being
 released very late in the transaction, which can waste FD.

 Amos