Re: [squid-users] Using Keep-Alive and squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 11:08:28 +1200

 On Mon, 23 May 2011 10:06:59 -0700, Andy Nagai wrote:
> We operate a relatively high trafficked Image focused site that is
> served
> from two load balanced servers. Currently we keep keep-alive turned
> off on
> the apache servers. Resources on servers are limited. Would it be
> beneficial
> now to turn on keep-alive since now we have squid cache reverse proxy
> turned
> on. What are the benefits of using squid with keep-alive?

 One word: efficiency.

 Greatly reduced TCP handshakes, near elimination of socket TIME_WAIT
 delays. When tuned and configured for your clients repeat HIT rate (how
 many items they pull, within how many seconds) it should be beneficial
 regardless of the Squid. Did you test it before disabling?

 Squid<->Server connections have a much higher throughput and thus
 benefit extra well from the TCP reductions. The newer your Squid the
 more HTTP/1.1 support it has and more useful it can make one connection.

 Amos