RE: [squid-users] SslBump and bad cert

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 14:42:50 +1200

 On Wed, 25 May 2011 16:16:54 +0000, Ming Fu wrote:
>> server
>> cache
>> >
>> > I am a bit surprised. Can sslbump make some https content
>> cacheable?
>>
>> Why surprised? ssl-bumps' purpose is to remove the SSL layer on
>> arriving
>> traffic.
>>
>> The data inside is just HTTP and gets handled same as any other.
>> Caching, filtering, alterations. Anything goes once the security
>> layer
>> is erased.
>>

> This does make me worried. For a web developer writing an https only
> site,
> He wouldn't bother with cache control headers the same as when he is
> develop
> http site. The https itself implies private to sharing. I would
> expect sslbump
> perverse this privacy in dealing with https traffic.
>

> Ming

 Sadly this is not new. Same problem happens in HTTP. Some webmaster
 jumps on "no-cache" or "no-store" instead of "private". Sets it site
 wide instead of just the personal pages. Proxy admin see a site forcing
 constant reloads on static images that don't ever change, set a
 site-wide ignore-nocache. Everything goes sour.

 All SSL does is verify that the other endpoint is trusted or not by the
 particular client. This is why ssl-bump feature only works in LAN
 situations where the proxy CA can be installed on worker PCs.
 Reverse-proxy have always done the mirror image of bump, where the
 website cert can be installed on each edge proxy https_port and signed
 by a major CA that everybody trusts. LAN which want to bump have always
 been able to setup their own reverse-proxy with DNS records and MITM the
 HTTPS.

 Amos