Re: [squid-users] adding an error-based class/id to the body of error pages

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 23:17:30 +1200

On 26/05/11 21:14, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
> 2011/5/26 Amos Jeffries<squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>:
>> On Thu, 26 May 2011 00:27:16 +0300, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I was wondering if in the the official version of squid 3.1 it would
>>> be possible to change<body> to<body id="%c"> in the errorpages.
>>>
>>> Of course on a technical level it is possible and I have already
>>> implemented this locally by us, so what is my reasoning?
>>>
>>> Very simple, in our organization we would love to use the new
>>> auto-negotiating multi-lingual error-pages however this brings one
>>> problem we have users from all over the world and we can't guarantee
>>> that the user will translate the error message correctly when he/she
>>> calls the helpdesk, of course the actual error code is hidden in the
>>> code but to ask the user to view source is also going a bit far.
>>
>> I had to assume during the design that it would work to get the user to name
>> the error statement (ie "Invalid request") in a mutual language between them
>> and the helpdesk. Note that the page code ERR_INVALID_REQ and the bold error
>> name "Invalid Request" are fixed pairs. If you find a translation where the
>> bold text is mismatching we would like to know and fix that.
> What I mean is that the helpdesk and the user don't necessarily speak
> the same language so when the user has to render the error message
> that he got in his/her native language to the common language they may
> translate it wrong because they don't understand the actual meaning of
> the message.
>

>> I'm a bit doubtful that colour coding will work. There being more error
>> pages than available distinct colours. I'm interested in how you get along
>> with this.
> We will probably only tag the most important/common pages, but you can
> also use color combinations (header color 1 footer color 2).

Hmm. The error message itself is id="error". So there is another pattern
piece I suppose. Along with CSS inserted images.

As an asside, you know the error codes get logged now too? so you can
locate errors better based on the log alone.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.7 and 3.1.12.1