Re: [squid-users] CAN TCP_OUTGOING_ADDRESS BIND TO ETH1? How to make D-S-L work on a machine with static routings?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 00:32:05 +1200

On 27/05/11 00:19, Jenny Lee wrote:

> Hello Amos,
>
>>> Is it possible to bind squid to an interface?
>>
>> Squid uses the bind() API to the kernel. So no.
>
> Thanks.
>
>>> I think this sounded absurd :) Other option probably tcp_outgoing_tos/mark?
>>
>> Have you tried to get it working without Squid needing a particular
>> sending IP? When Squid leaves the IP selection up the the OS its should
>> be given the primary box IP as of the time of the connection setup. Most
>> software use bind()/connect() just like Squid, so will also be having
>> problems on your box if Squids default wont work.
>

> There is default routing on the server and everything else including squid works fine.
>
> I need to send some problematic users with high downloads to braodband line via the alternate 'ip route' table created.
>

>> As a kludge workaround you can add an OS trigger on ppp-up/down to
>> reconfigure Squid.
>
> I do it like this now but I face some occasional issues. I wanted to know if it could be done within squid.

Netfilter MARKing with the mark pass-thru in Squid is probably the best
way. Provided you can detect the users easily in iptables.
  Squid can assist a little by using all its layer-7 access to detect
and maybe mark some heavy stuff not caught at the front line.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.7 and 3.1.12.1