Re: [squid-users] Sharing ACL Lists between different squids

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 20:10:55 +1200

On 27/05/11 05:05, Stefan Jensen wrote:
> Hi,...
>
> i like to ask, if it is possible to share ACL Lists between squids
> on different locations? Centralized ACL-List, if you will.

Yes and No.

  * It is possible to use external_acl_type to fetch ACL values from
anywhere and test a large range of criteria.

  * It is possible with the currently supported Squid to share config
files using the "include" directive. On premise that all instances have
access to the files. ie via an NFS or SAN share.

  * it is possible to load ACL values from files in some shared location.

  * It is NOT possible to load whole lines of config from any source
other than a config file on disk.

> With all our squid boxes have its own DSL connection and our ACL's
> are changing fast, I have to touch every box on every change.
>
> Can squid pull the ACL's from a remote database (i.e: mysql)?

The values can be looked up and tested by an external_acl_type database
helper. The ACL names and definition have to be fixed in squid.conf
somewhere.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.7 and 3.1.12.1