Re: [squid-users] Load Balance Authenticators

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 10:21:50 +0200

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:54 PM, unjc email <unjc.email_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I encounter a performance issue.  I found that the squid proxy crashes
> occasionally due to "Too many queued negotiateauthenticator requests".
>  When I monitor the server by querying "squidclient
> mgr:negotiateauthenticator", I discovered that not all authenticators
> are busy at the same time.  It seems like only the authenticators on
> the top of the list are busy with queued requests; but many of others
> down at the bottom of the list are basically idle.  It looks like a
> load-balancing problem among the authenticators.  Please advise if
> there is any setting for load-balancing authenticators in squid.conf.

This is intentional. By keeping some ntlm authenticators hotter than
others we get better performance, as
1. it allows the OS to leave idle authenticators idle, possibly also
swapping them out
2. it allows a more effective reuse of some in-memory data

Some spikes in queueing may be due tp temporary slowdowns in response
by AD, not much we can do there..

  Kinkie