Re: [squid-users] Hanging transfers after partial transfer

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 12:06:22 +1200

 On Tue, 31 May 2011 11:28:49 -0700, Rich Rauenzahn wrote:
> Version : 3.1.9
>
> We're getting (fairly consistently) hanging transfers on a particular
> resource. We're using squid as an accelerator, and it is all
> internal
> traffic within our corporate intranet.
>
> I found this,
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/BrokenWindowSize,
> but I'm skeptical because (a) we shouldn't have any firewalls
> intercepting the traffic,

 NP: There is a firewall on every box the packets flow through. Whether
 you know its there or not. These issues are most noticeable when active
 alterations are done to the packet, but can occur due to TCP stack bugs
 as well.

> and (b) when it happens, restarting the
> squid service fixes the issue.
>
> Also, it will just be a particular resource/URL -- a user reports the
> URL and I can reproduce it with wget -- the transfer will hit around
> 7% then pretty much stall indefinitely. If I hit another squid in
> our
> cluster, it works fine.
>
> Anyone see this kind of behavior before?

 Only on 3.2 betas (now resolved) or when using ICAP (couple of open
 bugs there).

 Can you replicate this with 3.1.12 or later? I think you will enjoy the
 reduction in memory leaks since 3.1.9 either way :)

 Amos