[squid-users] moving cache.swap or rotating more frequently?

From: Tory M Blue <tmblue_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 23:27:47 -0700

Afternoon

Have a question, is there a negative to running -k rotate more than
once a day?

I've recently moved squid to a ramcache (it's glorious), however my
cache.swap file continues to grow and brings me to an uncomfortable
95%.

If I run rotate it goes from 95% to 83% (9-12gb cache dir), it seems I
need to run this once every 12 hours to stay in a good place, but is
there anything wrong with that? I don't see it and seems that the
rotate really just cleans up the swap file and since it's all in ram,
it's super fast.

Another option is to move the swap file to a physical disk, what type
of performance hit will my squid system take? Obviously it's just
looking up, reading hash so it should not cause any issues, but
wondered. What is my best option, keep everything in ram and run
rotate 2-3x a day or is the penalty so small that pushing the swap
file to a physical disk a better answer?

2.7STABLE9
Fedora12

Thanks
Tory