Re: [squid-users] ip aliased multi-instanced squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 20:03:06 +1200

On 02/06/11 19:41, errno wrote:

> Just to confirm:
>
> If I have multiple ip aliases assigned to the same physical nic, will there
> still be port conflicts on an ip (aliased) based multi-instanced squid server?

There is rarely a need for the combo of IP aliasing + Squid.

> For example:
>
> eth0 -> 192.196.0.2
> eth0:1 -> 192.196.0.3
> eth0:2 -> 192.196.0.4
>

> squid_192.196.0.2.conf
> # ...
> http_port 192.196.0.2:3128
> # ...
>

> squid_192.196.0.3.conf
> # ...
> http_port 192.196.0.3:3128
> # ...
>

> squid_192.196.0.4.conf
> # ...
> http_port 192.196.0.4:3128
> # ...
>

> Will the fact that these are ip aliases rather than distinct separate
> nics cause port-conflict issues? (my presumption is there won't be
> any problems - ports are bound to ip, regardless of whether it's
> aliased or not - but I'd like to make certain)

Take a read through:
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/MultipleInstances

The example script there uses TPROXY (v4) for convenience and
portability, but with some tinkering it could be moved to NAT if you
have an old kernel.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.8 and 3.1.12.2