Re: [squid-users] Re: Should I see a massive slowdown when chaining squid => privoxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 19:58:00 +1200

On 04/06/11 16:23, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> On 04/06/2011 02:05, sichent wrote:
>

>>> Setup: Gentoo linux OS on squid and privoxy home lan server
>>> Squid-3.1.12
>>> privoxy-3.0.17
>>>
>>> I'm not running an html server, just trying to use squid and privoxy
>>> for my own browsing.
>>>

>> Why not to use ICAP or URL rewriter functionality built into Squid to
>> achieve the same results as privoxy instead of having this "chaining"
>> setup?
>>
>> Sorry for possible offtopic :)
> What offtopic?
> the only problem i can thing of is cpu and process management on this
> server.
> icap is a nice idea and i can recommend one
> http://greasyspoon.sourceforge.net/
> you must know basic programming to make it work and they have rules
> samples.
> if your hardware capabilities are low you will get most likely poor
> results on both privoxy and ICAP.
> also i will send later the settings for working with greasyspoon on
> squid 3.2
>
> another question.
> are you by any change made a speedtest on the current setup?
> if you do get the right speed but wrong speed to get the page processed
> it's a known side effect of privoxy.
>
> Regards
> Eliezer
>> sich

Speed gain/loss/other depends on what you are moving from.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: how you define "slow"!

  Keep in mind that you also now have around 2x the processing going on
with 2 proxies. The difference added by Squid can be at least 10ms. Some
people call that noticeable slowdown. Some dont care about anything less
than a second.

  * 3.1 is about 10-20% slower than the latest 2.7 on the same config.
With the older versions of 3.1 being on the slower end of that scale as
we work to optimize and fix things throughout the series.

  * Moving to Squid from a non-proxy setup can be a major drop down
depending on the browser age. The browsers themselves drop the parallel
fetch rate from hundreds down to under 10. Browser tweaking is the only
way to avoid this.

  * Moving from browser->privoxy to a browser->squid->privoxy setup you
should have seen only a small drop. Some possibilities are Squid using
slow disks (maybe RAID), or Squid box is swapping, or the bandwidth is
being routed down the same physical links to/from Squid.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.8 and 3.1.12.2