[squid-users] Re: Should I see a massive slowdown when chaining squid => privoxy

From: Harry Putnam <reader_at_newsguy.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 20:54:26 -0500

Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> writes:

[...]

> Speed gain/loss/other depends on what you are moving from.
>
> MORE IMPORTANTLY: how you define "slow"!

OK, getting down to cases here. Here is one test..

First clear the cache just the simple way
tools/options/advanced/network `clear now'

Close firefox (4.0.1)
Start firefox (It starts on google which is struggling to resolve)

Clear the cache once more

Type this URL in http://www.ford-trucks.com Start stopwatch, then
start firefox on that address by hitting enter..

      I get 1:32 (one min, 32 sec) with chain of browser => squid =>
      privoxy in place

Now with no proxy at all. CLear the cache, kill firefox.

Start firefox, (it starts on google very quickly), clear the cache
once more for good measure.

Type in http://www.ford-trucks.com, Start the stopwatch, then start
firefox on that address by hitting enter...

       I get 0:9 (9 seconds) with no proxy in place

That is something on the order of 900% faster... I think.

What kind of things should I do to start tracking down what is
hampering the connections so bad.