[squid-users] need a simple transparent caching conf

From: MrNicholsB <mrnicholsb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 16:55:31 -0700

Squid is caching content, but it is NOT serving cache to my clients and
frankly its driving me nuts, I dont need a 101 on squid, I just need a
basic conf. I wish the devs would include a basic transparent cache
proxy conf with squid to save noobs like me the trouble. My clients are
MANUALLY aimed at the proxy at port 3128, they can surf just fine, so NAT is
NOT required on the box, I just need a conf that actually WORKS. This is
getting absurd, I dont understand why its not serving up cached content, I
download ANYTHING you know 13mb exe files from a site, then go download the
same file on another pc and BAM!! fresh content NOT served from the cache,
wtf am I doing wrong here!?!?!?!

Ive tried several confs and they all FAIL to actually serve up cache, below
is my latest attempt.

http_port 3128 transparent
hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
cache deny QUERY
acl apache rep_header Server ^Apache
access_log /var/log/squid3/access.log squid
hosts_file /etc/hosts
refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
acl manager proto cache_object
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8
acl SSL_ports port 443 563 # https, snews
acl SSL_ports port 873 # rsync
acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
acl Safe_ports port 443 563 # https, snews
acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
acl Safe_ports port 631 # cups
acl Safe_ports port 873 # rsync
acl Safe_ports port 901 # SWAT
acl purge method PURGE
acl CONNECT method CONNECT
http_access allow manager localhost
http_access deny manager
http_access allow purge localhost
http_access deny purge
http_access deny !Safe_ports
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
http_access allow localhost
acl lan src 10.10.1.0/24
http_access allow localhost
http_access allow lan
http_access deny all
http_reply_access allow all
icp_access allow all
visible_hostname katmai.local
always_direct allow all
coredump_dir /var/spool/squid3
cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid3 20000 32 256
maximum_object_size 200 MB
maximum_object_size_in_memory 50 MB